Friday, December 3, 2010

trains trains and more trains

and snow snow and more snow! What was supposed to have taken us two trains to meet up with Brian in Hamburg ended up taking five.  It was a thirteen hour travel day to make it to Sonderborg Denmark but we did it!  The kids and I left a very snowy Amsterdam in the morning, successfully changed trains in Hilversum, Netherlands and were on our way to meet Brian.  Shortly after our train left Hilversum an announcement in Dutch was made, the man in our train compartment informed me that the weather was a "very grave" situation and our train could no longer continue.  Apparently we were all to get off the train at the next stop.  I told the kids we were about to have a big train adventure and that I wasn't sure what train we would get on next but it must be a cool one if the conductor wanted us to switch trains:)  We got off the train into a blizzard and found another train that would stop in a town where we could hopefully get the train to Hamburg.  We were on this train for about an hour and made it to Osnabruck where we had a short layover before the train to Hamburg.  Still snowing, kids are cold yet somehow excited to be waiting for yet another train.  Once we boarded this train I looked at the train maps and realized Brian could actually be on this train as it was coming from Cologne where he had a layover.  I called him and asked him if he had just stopped in Osnabruck......sure enough, Brian was on this train!  We were actually able to stay on this train through Hamburg as it was continuing north.  We had to make yet another train change in Neumunster and arrived in Flensburg, Germany around 9pm.  Our friend Don is so super awesome and drove the hour from Sonderborg to Flensburg to save us another train connection or bus ride.  By the time we got to Sonderborg it had been a 13 hour travel day for the kids complete with 5 different trains.  It's official, my kids totally rock.  Not one complaint from them all day, they thought it was a great adventure the whole way through.  Big props to all the nice men and women who helped me carry luggage, kids, and other random objects to help me on and off the train.  There are nice, kind people everywhere and I met a lot of them yesterday:) And now for a confession.  We bought McDonalds yesterday.  First time ever that I have put a McDonalds cheeseburger in their mouths.  They have had fast food before and I know I'm sure babysitters and grandparents have bought them McDonalds, we just never choose to go to McDonalds........BUT it was after train #4 of the day, there were no other options and they had eaten every ounce of food I had packed for the day.  And now I can proudly say that they didn't like the fries (Kohen doesn't like "peetatoes") and they kept asking for more of our salads.

So here we are in a totally cute little town in Denmark.  Don and Erin have a 2 1/2 year old boy and a brand new baby girl.  The kids are happy to be playing with new friends and the toys that belong to these new friends!  It's snowy and beautiful and we are with great friends:)

No comments:

Post a Comment