We got to go sledding!! It just might have been the coldest day of the trip but Morgan helped us gear up the kids with some of their extra snowsuits. They live in a beautiful area of Leipzig. I'm not sure if I've ever seen building after building that was so beautiful. Morgan was telling us that it was a part of Leipzig that wasn't bombed so the buildings are all original construction. I told him I noticed that there were so many old buildings in town and there didn't seem to be as many buildings that appeared to be East German construction. He said that the East Germans had wanted to tear down many of the buildings in Leipzig but ran out of money before they could do so. One building that they did remove was a beautiful old church on Augustusplatz. Right now they are rebuilding in the same spot and they've created this amazing design. The face of the church looks old, as if it were original construction, but then all around it is this dark glass in interesting shapes and angles.
So back to sledding......they live near this old outdoor arena that slopes down into a giant field. Only tricky part is the stone walls with small openings you have to aim your sled through to get down into the field. We actually managed to avoid any collisions with the wall and the boys had an awesome time. We finished up the afternoon with some hot cocoa and the street tram ride back to the center......and since we were walking through the center we stopped off for yet another brat and gluhwein:) I wish I could say we were getting sick of the market food but it's all so good. We discovered this tasty thing here in Leipzig that we didn't see at the other markets. It's this bun stuffed with ham and cheese and slowly baked in a wood fired oven. Then it's topped with a scoop of cream cheese and some green onions. We've also found our favorite gluhwein and kinderpunsch here. There's one stall in this part of the market that is a bit kitschy but is set up like an old christmas market. Old as in older than the other christmas market that's probably been going on for hundreds of years:) I'm not sure what they do to their gluhwein but it is the absolute best.
We're getting ready to head to Nurnberg tomorrow and I am so very excited. People always ask me which city has been my favorite place to live. I always struggle with that because each place has been an important part of my identity and has brought amazing people into my life. Nurnberg was one of the most special places without a doubt. It might have been my age but I have so many fun and magical memories from our time there. I was an eight year old girl surrounded by castles, palaces, German language and culture, and it was also my first somewhat mature look at human nature from all of the World War 2 sights. It was a beautiful time for me and feels like it was, and I suppose still is, impacting who I am.
This wouldn't be a complete post without a few silly stories about the boys. I was telling Kohen yesterday about the little Nurnberger sausages we are going to eat in a few days. He interrupted me and said "Mommy, when you said sausage it made me lick my lips." In spite of his love affair with pork products we did find the Scandinavian section of the christmas market and they were serving salmon. Brian said Kohen even did an "I love salmon" dance waiting to place the order. Our boys love salmon...really....really....love salmon. They devoured sandwiches and plates of it and we got to eat it inside a teepee with a warm fire. Very cool.
Beckett has this great way of manipulating the situation verbally so that whatever you asked him not to do, he'll tell you he wasn't doing that very thing. Example. We were on the train and he had his mouth on the window, licking it or something. I said "Beckett could you please stop licking the window." He answered "I wasn't licking anything. I was kissing it." He can do this with just about anything you throw at him. Clever little man:)
Tomorrow is train day, 3 1/2 hours of pure bliss for our train loving kids. More from Nurnberg in a few days..............
No comments:
Post a Comment