Sunday, December 12, 2010

curry wurst and ice cream

My kids smell like curry wurst.  They can't get enough of this Berlin classic.  Clothes, hands, everything smells like curry and they keep asking for more.

Brian had to work last night so I thought I'd take the kids out for a "night snack."  We bummed around the neighborhood a bit trying to find an ice cream shop.  Finally, on this great little square, we found a place.  This wasn't your ordinary walk up to the counter and order a scoop kind of place.  Kohen was completely impressed.  It was a proper ice cream shop complete with table service.  He told me "Mommy, this isn't like Molly Moon's.  It is waaaaaaay fancier!"  Our waitress spoke english so I asked her to bring two small scoops.  She returned with a giant waffle cone overflowing with raspberry sorbet for Kohen and a monstrous scoop in a bowl for Beckett.  Their eyes were about as big as the scoops of ice cream in front of them.  There were also two TV screens on the wall in front of us showing videos of ice cream and people eating ice cream.  I looked at Beckett, who was halfway through his bowl, and he was drooling raspberry ice cream chanting "vanilla, strawberry, chocolate" as different ice cream flavors popped up on the TV.  Kohen proceeded to explain to me every way that this ice cream place was different from Molly Moon's.  After the sugar was completely ingested I was helping Kohen get his jacket and scarf on when I see Beckett crawling on the floor away from me.  He was headed to a table full of Berlin hipsters telling them he was a "zebra cat."  He was alternately meowing and neighing.  Seriously, this kid is awesome.  In that moment, I think he was welcomed into the Berlin hipster club for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment