We got to Berlin yesterday afternoon after an awesome ride on the super fast ICE train. I don't think Kohen has lost any of his enthusiasm for the train rides, even after riding them every day. Tonight he was so tired and was pretty much done with walking but the second we got to the subway station he was a new man and insisted he walk to the train alone and unassisted. Don't even think about holding his hand while getting on and off the train, he's got it:)
We've rented this great little apartment in Mitte, right in the center of Berlin. We're only a short walk from Alexanderplatz in this neighborhood known for its courtyard complexes full of shops, restaurants, galleries.....very cool part of town. After we unloaded our stuff we went to the Christmas Market at Alexanderplatz. We ate more pork products, drank gluhwein, bought some meat and cheese for breakfast and rode a really cool ferris wheel, a first for both the boys. On our walk home we found a brewery so we stopped and had a Christmas ale, then found another brewery but decided to wait and try it another night.....kids would not have been into letting Brian and I indulge our beer habit for a second time that night:) We did some grocery shopping at a great organic store we found and sure enough, the grocery store cat was back. I'm not sure why Beckett keeps choosing grocery stores to turn into a cat but he did it again, much to the amusement of a few German ladies. Maybe I should be glad he is just crawling on the floor rather than licking it?!
We had a pretty mellow day today, explored our neighborhood a bit then went to the Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt square. Kohen has also had the best pain au chocolat of his life and has declared that every time he comes to Berlin he is getting one. He has such a memory and I know he will remember that, just like I will never forget the chocolate eclair I had in Normandy when I was a kid. Best eclair ever.
Kohen and Beckett seem to be doing well and enjoying our adventures so far. They look pretty cute all wrapped up in a billion layers waddling down the snowy streets. German women keep smiling at them and give them lots of attention. We have no idea what they are saying but are pretty convinced they are telling the boys how freaking adorable they are:) Tonight at bedtime Kohen wanted me to tell him a story about how much fun he is having in Germany so I guess he's enjoying himself. The important thing we have to remember is to pace them, it is a lot of work walking so much, it's very cold, and all the excitement can be so overwhelming. They don't complain much so it's really up to us to make sure we don't push them too much. Amazing kids. Truly amazing:)
No comments:
Post a Comment