It's been a while but we are still here, traveling along:) It's been so long since I last blogged and I'm having a hard time remembering the past week or two.....way too much food and alcohol! We had a great Christmas in Nurnberg, snow, presents and we even cooked a goose. The day we left Nurnberg there was more snow so we were once again delayed leaving town and then due to some electrical track switching problem we had to sit on the tracks for a few hours. Deutsch Bahn was great about it and gave everyone as many free drinks as they wanted. We finally arrived at our castle hotel overlooking the Rhine and it was so worth any amount of trouble or delay to get there. Everyone needs to sleep in a castle sometime, it is just so fun! Tons of cool doors, passages and grounds for the kids to explore. A fantastic restaurant. Complimentary sled for the kids and sherry for the adults:) This place also made them their favorite dessert of the trip. They took a kinder egg and opened it up and placed a scoop of ice cream inside and then decorated the plate with gummy bears. Kinder egg chocolate, ice cream, gummies and the kinder egg toy=complete child satisfaction.
We've been in Luxembourg for the past few days staying with four friends Heather and Leon. They have two little girls so the kids have been having a great time playing with new friends. Something we learned about Luxembourg, they have more Michelin star restaurants per capita than any other country. Heather and Leon not only watched our kids so we could go to one of these amazing restaurants but Leon drove us there and picked us up so we could drink as much as we wanted. I have never been so full in my entire life. In fact, it was days ago and I'm still full. I don't even remember how many starter courses there were, something like 7. Then the main meal, then the cheese course followed by champagne and a dessert tower and homemade candy. Complete over-indulgence but oh so fun:)
I've been thinking about my Grandpa Vreeland a lot since we've been here in Luxembourg. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge and I know he went through this part of Europe during WWII. Grandpa died a while ago and I realized I haven't thought about him as an individual in quite some time. It's been nice to think about him and his life as we've been driving around the countryside.
So now it is New Years and we will be home in a few days. It's been a wonderful trip and I am so thankful for having this time with Brian, Kohen and Beckett. Maybe after we get home and I've had some time to process everything I'll post again. The kids seem to have grown and changed again over the course of this trip.....just so confident and aware. We've spent ten weeks this year with them internationally and to have had that time to watch them, listen to them and share these experiences has been the most beautiful thing.
An afternoon in Brussels, two days in Amsterdam and then Seattle. Home.
No comments:
Post a Comment